Monday, October 20, 2008

It begins


My earliest memories of baseball were Mets-Padres games in San Diego's Jack Murphy Stadium. A lot has changed since those days; Qualcomm has since taken over as the name of the stadium which no longer even houses the Padres - they've moved to Petco Park in downtown San Diego.

Growing up in a family of Yankees fans, I suppose the Mets were the next best thing to come to southern California. This was long before the days of interleague play.

And besides, I loved Darryl Strawberry.

I don't know how it started. I don't know if it was his name that caught my four year old attention, or perhaps it was his height. Some how, some way, I singled him out as my favorite player. The collection began.

To this day, the collection has become quite large. Thousands of cards have been purchased, replica t-shirts folded in drawers, autographs carefully protected. The space my collection inhabits at the bottom of my closet can no longer contain its glory; it's time for a blog.

I've met Darryl a handful of times, and he seems to be a genuinely nice person. Troubled? Maybe, though not necessarily a bad person. He's made his mistakes and has certainly paid dearly for them. I do not intend to apologize on his behalf. But my collection is what it is; massive.

Over the life of this site I'll share my collection, piece by piece. I'll tell stories. I'll kill lots of time, both mine and yours.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I was always a fan of Darryl. Can't wait to see your collection!

James B. Anama said...

Welcome to the hobby blogosphere. Your site has been added to the Sports Card Blog Roll.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

Joe said...

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it! I've been a reader for so long that I finally felt the urge to contribute.

PunkRockPaint said...

Finally got around to reading the blog. Your Daaaaaaarryl and my Toooooooony collections never meet, or we could be buried in the avalanche. I will start rummaging through my collection to see if I can find any cool Straw stuff for you.

I know that at one point in the '80s I cut a minature pic of his '83 "XRC" off the back cover of a Beckett. I remember seeing it somewhere recently... It was glossy and mini... two qualities I liked in cards.

PunkRockPaint said...

Change to: "I hope your Darrrrrrrryl..."

Hmm, proofreading is good.