Thursday, November 13, 2008

1989 Topps Glossy All-Star #19 of 22


Ok, wait a minute...

This is the third "#19 of 22" of the four Glossy All-Star cards I have. Is Topps even trying with this set? The background is so simple, so basic, that Topps isn't putting even a second of thought into the design. They're just editing the text box with the year and sending it off to print.

Why bother even changing the picture?

Well, this particular photo is so similar to the '86 card that it appears they hardly bothered at all.

In the 1988 All-Star game, Darryl went 1-4 with a strikeout, in case you were wondering.

This marks the end of my mis-cut, off centered, poor photo quality Glossy All-Star collection, so thanks for sticking with me through these tough times. Trust me, you'll be rewarded.

I've got a new feature coming soon, which I'll call "Searching for Straw." Or I might call it "Needle In a Haystack", because straw and hay are very similar. Or are they the same thing? I'm not sure; I have no farming experience whatsoever. Anyway... What I'll be doing is purchasing old boxes of packs and searching for Darryl Strawberry cards (see where I get the title from?!) and posting the results. And in the 700+ card sets from the late '80s and early '90s, finding any one particular card is tough, hence my alternate title of "Needle in a Haystack". Perhaps you all can comment on which title you like better. Comment quickly, though, because my first unopened box of cards is on the way. I'll wait until it arrives before I reveal the brand.

By the way, I own three of these '89 Glossy All-Star cards.

1 comment:

Jeffrey FX said...

So did Topps stop making these cards after this year? Only five Darryl cards of this variety?