Friday, December 5, 2008

Ebay thoughts


This entry isn't so much a rant about a stupid Darryl Strawberry auction as much as it's a rant about card designs I dislike.

According to the auction header, this particular card is from 2005 Donruss Classics Stars. Without knowing anything at all about this card or this set, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that there's a game-worn parallel set at well.

How did I come to this conclusion, you ask? Simple...


ALL OF THE BLANK SPACE TO THE LEFT OF STRAWBERRY!!! It's absurdly obvious that a swatch of jersey was placed on the left side of some versions of these cards.

Thanks to a birthday present from my wife, I've recently developed an interest (Get it?! Developed? Just a little photographer's humor...) in advanced photography, and I've become familiar with the "rule of thirds". One of the major principles of this rule is that "good" pictures DO NOT have the focal point in the dead center of the photograph, instead placing the object in the left or right third of the frame.

This doesn't apply to baseball cards.

Cards like these are the pack of cards slap-in-the-face. "Hey there, collector, congrats on almost pulling a cool card! Instead, enjoy this lame non-game worn parallel! **SLAP!!**" Could Donruss have made this card any more boring if it tried? Why bother with the picture at all? Just have some of the cards feature a patch of a baseball player. That's it. No explanation of the player or team involved. Think of the savings for the manufacturers!! I'd be a little pissed I pulled the straight-up blank piece of cardboard parallel, but I've pulled enough checklists in my day to become numb to it.

My apologies if this trend doesn't bother you. If you're one of these people, you can buy this card for just a buck. And when it arrives, go ahead and slap yourself in the face.

3 comments:

dayf said...

This is the major flaw with Donruss products the last 6 years or so. They design cards for the relics and not if the card looks good or not.

Jeffrey FX said...

I actually don't have this card. My collecting of cards tapered off as I went through college. I am now vowing to catch up on my Darryl card collecting, and will buy this card if given the opportunity. Though I do agree with your review of it, I just love having all Darryl's cards :)

Jeffrey FX said...

OH~! The rule of thirds was used very effectively in Darryl's 1992 Topps card :)