Monday, January 19, 2009

2002 Topps Archives Reserve, #88 of 100

I'm back in business! And to reward your patience: this shiny card from 2002 Topps Archives Reserve. Oooooooooohh...


OK, so it's not so shiny after a scan, but in real life it is - I promise. It's got that refractor technology, which gives it a rainbow-y effect. Most of you know exactly what I'm talking about. If not, well, you'll just have to trust me.

I bought this card off ebay for a buck. Its probably not worth even that, but 1987 Topps is one of my favorite sets of all time (more for sentimental reasons, which I'll explain in a later entry), so this card is a pretty neat tribute.

The front of the Archives card is identical to the '87 version, just with the added shine and the Topps Archives stamp. It's also quite a bit thicker than the '87 is/was. And you gotta love the picture of Darryl waiting to launch a fastball into Shea Stadium's cheap seats.

Things get a little different on the back:


You can see the "original" back is squished a bit to make room for the Archives banner (for lack of a better word) on the bottom. It took me a second to find the actual number of the card since they kept the original number, 460, on the back.

Topps must not have allotted much money to their writers or research department; they dug up that Strawberry and his wife have a son, but they make no mention of his name. Seems a little strange, because I'm assuming the son being mentioned is Darryl Strawberry, Jr., who now plays professional basketball in Italy after a year in the NBA (according to Wikipedia, for the record). You might know him better by D.J., the name he's chosen to go by.

I have to admit: I never knew that on April 16th, 1959 (no clue why that date was chosen), Dave Philley delivered his ninth consecutive pinch hit for the Phillies. His '59 Topps card was number 92, just in case it's the one card you're trying to find to complete the set. I have no idea why this incredibly obscure stat was highlighted.

This is the only 2002 Topps Archive Reserve card that I own.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Maybe it is a Philley vs. Phillie thing and a fairly significant streak....

Joe said...

Ah, Philley... Phillie... I looked right past that!