Tuesday, April 28, 2009

1987 Fleer #23

For a second, I was thinking about skipping to the end of my Darryl Strawberry card binder where I store all the odd ball cards, simply because I knew what was next - and there was no way it could live up to the wood grained goodness of '87 Topps. But I figured it was best to treat this card like a removing a band-aid: pull it off as quick as possible so as not to prolong the inevitable pain.

With that, I present to you Darryl's 1987 Fleer, #23.




Yuck.

This is easily one of the blandest card fronts of my whole collection. It's a boring shot of Strawberry, framed by a boring border, topped off with a boring font. And like the '86 Donruss I posted earlier, there's simply far too much blue.

Let's quickly move to the back:



At first glance, it seems almost as bad as the front. You've got the generic font for Strawberry's background info, and only half the card is filled with stats. The rest is open space filled with nothing but a strange candy-cane striped back ground - made even more strange by the fact that the thickness of the stripes is uneven.

Something I love, though, is the "How's He Hitting 'Em" feature at the bottom. It's overly simplistic, but it seems appropriate for the era. Hitters were classified in to one of four categories: dead pull hitter, power hitter, spray hitter, and singles hitter.

I'm guess spray hitter must be for those with "gap power", the 15 homers a year types?

Clearly, Darryl is labeled correctly as a power hitter.

The "pro scouts report" shows Strawberry's hot spots for the three types of pitches: fastball, breaking ball, and off-speed. The analysis? Fast ball low and away: In the cheap seats. Breaking ball over the plate: Darryl's trotting to first. Off-speed anywhere close to the plate? See ya! According to scouts, Strawberry could hit absolutely anything.

That's exactly how I remember him.

5 comments:

Franklin said...

Love your blog.

I'm going to disagree with you regarding the 87 Fleer set. It's easily one of my favorite sets of all time and the Straw card ranks up there on my list.

I like the blue.

Perhaps it's because this was a relatively rare set compared to the easily gotten 87 Donruss and the riduculously overprinted 87 Topps.

I do agree with the sparseness of the backs though. And another thing, I think they classified Straw as a Dead Pull Hitter .. the red do is to the right side ... at least that's my recollection from the late 80's. I don't have access to any other 87 Fleer card to verify my claim.

ft

Joe said...

The reason I think they've classified him as a power hitter is because of the even spacing to the left of "dead pull hitter" and "spray hitter". Looks like a red square would fit perfectly.

Either way, Straw was a dead pull power hitter, so both work!

I disagree with the blue being a good look - but that's the beauty of baseball cards: everyone likes something different.

Franklin said...

Joe,

You're right. I just checked and the red box is to the left of the classification.

So yeah, Darryl's correctly ID'd as a Power Hitter.

ft

--David said...

I'm going a limb here and I am going to say you will find another card you realize is much worse than this one. For me, the colors work well and I actually like the 'candid' pic.

Big D said...

Im not sure the scouts ever knew what they had on their hands with the Straw. They didn't think much of him when the Yankees got him and he gave them a lot. Don't think they would have won the World Series without him.