Wednesday, June 17, 2009

1988 Score #360 of 660

We're going from one of the most visually appealing Strawberry cards in my collection to something definitely not so visually appealing: 1988 Score.


I'm sorry, but the green just doesn't work for me. Why couldn't Score have color coded this set with colors more appropriate for the player pictured? Topps did, so it couldn't have been that difficult. They captured a nice enough action shot of Straw, taken just a fraction of a second before the ball was launched in to the grand stands, but the green is soooo ugly. It completely ruins the card.

Things aren't any better on the back:

Red, green, blue... I don't get it. But if there was ever a writer who knew how to talk up a player, it was the guy who wrote the copy on the back of Darryl's card.

"Darryl has so much natural talent that it would not be surprising if he someday won the Triple Crown, stole over 50 bases and gained a Gold Glove, all in one season."

Woah, easy there. Wouldn't be surprising? I think that sort of year would turn a few heads, don't you? Continuing to get carried away, the writer describes Strawberry as "the first player picked in the entire nation in 1980." Technically, yes, Strawberry was the first player picked in the entire nation in the 1980 draft, but that's a flowery way to put it. The sentence describing Darryl has having "prodigeous power, terrific speed and a cannon for an arm" is yet another reminder of how great Strawberry could've been.

The way Score chose to display each card's number was a little strange. Notice that it's displayed as 360 of 660 as if it was serial numbered. That'd be an absurdly small print run for a card of the '80s! 360 of 660 thousand, maybe.

5 comments:

Franklin said...

Yeah, the green is pretty hideous, but the action shot is one of the best ever for a Straw card. The photog captured the shot at the exact right moment.

As for the serial number thing, it's not. It's card #360 out of 660 cards in the set. Everyone other than Topps in that era had 660 card sets. Topps did 792.

Joe S. said...

Right, I know it's not actually serial numbered... I tried to joke that if it WERE serial numbered, it'd be #360 out of 660 THOUSAND... cause of overproduction... get it?!

Guess it didn't go over too well...

thewritersjourney said...

660 billion might have been more accurate. :)

I love 1988 Score, but always thought the borders should have been team-colored, even back when I was 13 years old.

TeenageWerewolf said...

How much is this card alone worth? and I actually kinda like the green it adds a nice retro 80s cheese flair. I love 80's cheese. This baseball card has swag. And even if it is worth something I'll probably keep it anyways because I like so much.

TeenageWerewolf said...

How much is this card alone worth? and I actually kinda like the green it adds a nice retro 80s cheesey touch. I love 80's cheese. This baseball card has swag. And even if it is worth something I'll probably keep it anyways because I like it so much. During the year of this card the movies who framed roger rabbit?, Big, Beetlejuice, Die Hard, and Willow were all in theaters. How awesome is that?