Thursday, November 19, 2009

1988 Donruss MVP, #BC-20

This is the last, hideous blue bordered Darryl Strawberry card that I have, and of course it's from a set that I'm unable to identify.  The front looks like a normal issue '88 Donruss:



This picture was clearly taken just after the gates opened because you can count the people in the stands.  Well, almost - I counted approximately 22, but it's too blurry to be very accurate.  But the real question (for me) is where did this card come from? The back also looks like a normal '88 Donruss card, except for the numbering:



At first, I was getting a bit down on myself for not knowing where half of my late '80s Strawberry cards come from.  Not that I base my self-worth on junk wax knowledge (or lack thereof), but it'd be nice to know.  But I got to thinking that perhaps this is why we refer to the late '80s and early to mid '90s as the junk wax era:  cards came from everywhere.

They were in cereal boxes.  They were in cookies.  They were at the bottom of slurpees.  They were made by K-Mart.  Seriously, baseball cards were everywhere you looked, and not in a good way.

Any knowledge you might have about this particular card would be greatly appreciated.  As for me, I'm just ready to put the blue Donruss borders behind us.

5 comments:

Dan said...

This is from the 1988 Donruss Bonus Cards set. These were inserted in regular packs of 1988 Donruss, but there's no listing of them anywhere on the wrapper. The set is 26 cards with one player for each team (team MVP). I believe Bonus Card set in this format ran from 1988-1990. In 1991, it was season highlights and in 1992 it was an award winners theme. Hope this helps.

Joe S. said...

Thank you, sir. I figured someone out there would have the answer!

thewritersjourney said...

Dan, Are you sure they didn't make MVP cards in 1991 also? I can't remember for certain, but I thought they did.

Joe, do you have the orange bordered 1988 Donruss Baseball's Best card? If not, drop me an e-mail (jasontcarter at gmail) and I'll send it your way.

Dan said...

1991 did have MVP cards, but they were part of the regular base set.

Anonymous said...

I recently just got a 1988 MVP Darryl strawberry and wanting to know if its rare in any case. I heard from a birdy that Cuz mainly these cards are hard to find...again idk hmu at my email: j.ryan33.jr97@gmail.com.thanks!!